The ultimate comfort food
Pumpkin roasted in the oven, just for fun we hollow it out and serve the mac ‘n cheese pasta in it. We make a delicious creamy vegan cheesy sauce from the pumpkin. Let’s start!
This recipe is from the Your 50 Days of Green Happiness winter book. We have made this book to give you a handbook and useful tools to get you off to a healthy start with a plant-based lifestyle. All recipes are carefully composed to provide your body with the most nutrients. We explain which vitamins you should pay attention to, how you calculate your personal energy needs and adjust recipes accordingly. And we have 50 complete daily menus for you including shopping lists!
- 1 kg orange pumpkin
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 200 ml coconut milk, light
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (20 g)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 150 g gluten-free penne pasta
- 2 slices gluten-free bread
- 1 tsp paprika powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Wash the pumpkin and cut in half. Remove the seeds and spoon about 200 g of flesh from the pumpkin halves, about 100 g per half.
3. Cut the scooped flesh into small cubes and put in a bowl. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Add this to the pumpkin with some salt and pepper. Mix well and spread the pumpkin pieces on a baking tray covered with baking paper. Place the two pumpkin halves next to it and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until the pieces are soft and golden brown. The pumpkin halves may still be a bit hard (they will be added to the oven later).
4. Meanwhile, put coconut milk, thyme and bay leaves in a pan and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Then remove the thyme and bay leaves.
5. Mix the roasted pumpkin pieces with coconut milk, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes, turmeric, salt and pepper in a blender until smooth.
6. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package in plenty of water in about 5 minutes al dente. Mix the pasta with the sauce.
7. Toast the sandwiches and crumble over a bowl or in a food processor. Mix with 2 tbsp noble yeast flakes and paprika powder.
8. Spoon the pasta into the pumpkin halves. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and put in the oven for another 5 minutes.