A piece of apple cake for breakfast while you just started a detox week, who would have thought that? It is possible because this festive breakfast is made from real ingredients, plant-based and gluten-free. It is the perfect start to a detox week. The days before you start to drink juices or mainly drink smoothies, it is very nice to finish off with light meals. Just as it is very important to rebuild after the detox days before you start eating ‘normally’ again.
This is a recipe from the Green Happiness Detox book. The recipes and all information can also be found on videos. This detox week is filled with light meals, filling smoothies, warm soups and healthy snacks. The perfect way to give your body a break and at the same time feed it with an enormous amount of nutrients. A kickstart to a healthier diet!
You can of course also make this apple cake very well outside the detox week. Delicious as a breakfast or as a snack.
- 2 apples
- 50 g apple sauce, unsweetened
- 150 g buckwheat flour
- 75 ml almond milk
- 40 g raisins
- 2 tsp gingerbread spices
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 375 9 plantbased yogurt (soy, almond or coconut)
- 450 g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Halve both apples. Cut out the core (or leave it in), but leave the stem. Grate half an apple and put it in a large bowl.
Mix the apple sauce with the grated apple. Add the buckwheat flour, almond milk, raisins and gingerbread spices.
3. Mix the baking soda in a separate bowl with the apple cider vinegar. This is going to foam. Add it to the apple-buckwheat mixture. Stir through the batter a few times. This gives extra lightness to the batter.
4. Cover a cake pan with baking paper. Cover the bottom of the cake pan with four tablespoons of the batter. Then place the half apples on top with the cutting edge up. Divide the rest of the batter between the apples.
5. Place the cake in the center of the oven and bake for 20 minutes until done and golden brown. The cake is good when a wooden skewer comes out dry. Let the cake cool in the form.
6. Cut the cake into 3 equal pieces. Serve each piece of cake with the yogurt, blueberries and cinnamon.