Let the Holiday season begin
The popular Dutch pepernoten with a tropical twist. If you haven’t tasted pepernoten yet go make them! Everybody in Holland eat these little gingerbread cookies around the Holidays and especially around the 5th of December when Sinterklaas comes to Holland. The old fashioned pepernoten are made with butter and refined sugar. Wanna make them a little healthier? Look no further! We have added grated coconut grater, just for the fun. You can also omit it and replace it with, for example, oatmeal or tiger nut flour. Make sure you use fresh dates that are very soft. Then you can knead them most easily through the dough. Otherwise use a blender or food processor.
These pepernoten are gluten-free, vegan and made without refined sugars. And super tasty they are!
Tip: dip them in (pure) chocolate for chocolate ones…
- 200 g buckwheat flour
- 120 g fresh dates
- 50 g grated coconut
- 50 g coconut oil
- 80 ml almond milk
- 4 tbsp coconut blossom sugar
- 5 tbsp gingerbread spices
- 1 tsp seasalt
- 2 tbsp water (20 ml)
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Seed the dates and cut into small pieces. Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and knead with your hands to a firm ball of dough.
3. Make about 130 to 160 small spice nuts from the dough and place them on the baking sheet. Bake the spice nuts for 10-12 minutes until golden brown in the preheated oven.
Let the pepernoten cool a little, then they will become nice and crispy.