Specially for the Holidays, or because gingerbread spices are simply delicious all winter (and summer): a gingerbread with red beets!
You may think of a savory dish with beetroot, but this bread is sweet! Something different than a banana bread, but just as tasty to take with you as a snack. You can keep slices in the freezer so that you have a snack for several days to take with you. And to protect yourself that you do not eat this bread in one go. It’s dangerously delicious!
If you want to make this bread gluten-free, you can also use oatmeal combined with almond flour instead of spelt flour. Almond flour makes the bread slightly heavier, but it does get a little more the taste and feeling of almond paste.
- 150 g spelt flour
- 150 g buckwheat flour
- 4 tbsp coconut blossom sugar
- 3 tsp gingerbread spices
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 50 g mulberries
- 1 beetroot
- 5 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 40 g almond shavings
- pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the spelt and buckwheat flour with coconut blossom sugar, gingerbread spices, cinnamon, mulberries and a pinch of salt.
3. Peel the beet and grate it over the flour bowl. Then add the apple sauce spoon by spoon and knead very well. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes to a beautiful pink coherent ball, without the dough sticking to your fingers. Add a little water if necessary.
4. In a small bowl, mix the apple cider vinegar with 1 tbsp baking soda, do not stir and allow to foam. Make a bowl in the batter and pour in the foam mixture. Fold the batter in half to close the bowl and knead for a short while, so that the foam mixture is well distributed.
5. Cover half of a cake tin with baking paper and spoon in the batter. You use half of the cake tin, so you get a higher bread. Make a thin cut in the top of the cake and sprinkle the top with the almond shavings.
6. Put the cake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Cover the cake with aluminum foil when the almond shavings turn brown (after about 10-15 minutes).
7. The cake is ready when a skewer comes out of the cake (reasonably) dry. Remove the cake from the cake pan and let cool on a rack. Divide the gingerbread cake into 10 slices. Store the cake in a sealed drum in the refrigerator or freezer.